Wrinkles – We All Have Them
Wrinkles are creases in the skin, commonly associated with skin aging. Wrinkles appear in two types: Fine Surface Lines and Deep Furrows.
What Are the Causes of Wrinkles?
Decreased rates of collagen production are the main cause of wrinkles. Reduced levels of collagen are a normal part the body’s aging process. Although nothing can be done to prevent natural aging there are other environmental factors that will contribute to increased wrinkles with age. These factors include:
- Genetic (family) influences – this is probably the biggest and most important reason. A good family history can prevent a lot of wrinkles from forming in the first place but there are things you can still do to minimize them if you’re not one of the lucky ones
- Smoking – smoking not only causes wrinkles but it narrows blood flow to the skin so it ages much quicker than normal. smoking not only ages the skin quickly but it ages the entire body so if not for looks alone, you should stop smoking for all the other good reasons to.
- Sun exposure – this is a big one, spending many hours, days and years in the sun breaks down your skin over time so when you get older your skin will be paper thin and develop not only a lot of wrinkles, but skin cancer. we treat skin cancers all the time at our clinic so we know what we’re talking about. what’s worse than wrinkles is getting a skin cancer that takes up a big chunk of skin that has to be removed and then closed with skin from somewhere else. that is definitely not a pretty sight and can be avoided with simple sun care and protection all throughout life.
- Tanning services/products – please don’t visit tanning boots, that kind of thing ages you very quickly!
- Constant muscle movement such as with the forehead or around the mouth – this is how Botox and fillers can work to reduce them. These treatments can stop and even reverse the formation of lines and wrinkles on the face with no downtime whatsoever
What Are the Treatments?
- Botox Cosmetic
- Xeomin Cosmetic
- Chemical Peels
- Juvederm Dermal Fillers
- Erbium Laser
- Affirm Fractional Laser
- Fractional CO2 Laser
Quick Answers About Wrinkles
How quickly can your wrinkle treatments work? I'm hoping to have a serious reduction in facial wrinkles in the next two weeks. Do you have anything that would work for me?
It all depends on where the wrinkles are located. If they are deep creases in the face, we can usually use fillers for quick improvement. If the lines are related to muscle movement then Botox cosmetic can be effective but it will take at least a few weeks to see their benefit. We also perform laser skin tightening but again, this can take weeks to months to notice an improvement.
SmartXide laser, I have under eye wrinkles that botox can't treat and I have been looking at the smartxide laser. Is this something that can work for under eye wrinkles? I am 38 years old. My biggest concern is 1) is there a risk that I can do more damage? I have seen some women complain that their wrinkles were worse after doing this laser on realself? 2) Or, does it not work at all for some patients?_x000D__x000D_Thanks in advance!
We never usually recommend Botox Cosmetic for treatment of wrinkles under the eyes because those lines are not caused by specific muscle activity rather it is because the skin there is so thin. The fractional co2 laser (smartxide dot) is the perfect treatment for those under-eye lines and wrinkles. Usually a couple sessions is required for the best results. If its done correctly, you should notice a very nice improvement.